Miacalcin is a synthetic form of calcitonin, a hormone produced naturally in the body. The nasal spray slows bone loss so that your bone-building cells can increase bone density. The dose is 200 IUs (international units) a day.
- Miacalcin is effective at increasing bone density in the spine.
- Miacalcin may help reduce the risk of spinal fracture as well as pain resulting from spinal fracture.
- Miacalcin is relatively easy to take. A dose is one spray in one nostril per day. You alternate nostrils each day.
- The drug works for both men and women.
- Miacalcin does not seem to increase the bone density or reduce the risk of fracture in the hip.
- Miacalcin does not increase bone density in the spine as well as other medications.
- Side effects include occasional irritation to the nasal passages.