Medicare has established guidelines that recommend DEXA scans for certain people:
- estrogen-deficient women at clinical risk for osteoporosis;
- individuals with vertebral abnormalities;
- individuals receiving long-term glucocorticoid (steroid) therapy;
- individuals with primary hyperparathyroidism; and
- individuals being monitored to assess the response of osteoporosis therapies approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- all women over age 65; and
- all women under the age of 65 who have one or more risk factors for osteoporosis in addition to menopause.