Free Bone Density Screening

This is a screening that involves measuring the bone density at your heel. This test cannot be used to diagnose osteoporosis or monitor your progress over time. However, if you have never been tested for osteoporosis, it can provide information about your risk and indicate whether you need the “central” bone density test for your hip and spine. If you have already had the central scan of your hip and spine, this screening test is unnecessary.

Osteoporosis is a condition we will encounter more frequently as the American population ages. However, you can significantly lower your chances of bone fractures by understanding your risk factors and getting screened for low bone density. Below are the major risk factors for osteoporosis:

  • Being a woman: Women are more susceptible to osteoporosis, but men can also be affected. 80% of those with osteoporosis are women, leaving 20% as men. Considering that 10 million Americans have osteoporosis, this means 2 million of them are men.
    • After menopause, the risk of osteoporosis increases dramatically for women. Estrogen helps maintain bone strength, so when its levels decrease, bone density drops.
  • Age: Growing older is one of the most significant risk factors for osteoporosis-related fractures.
  • Low body weight: This is one of the few conditions where being thin is actually a risk factor!
  • Family history: Genetics play a crucial role in determining bone strength.
  • Certain medications: Some medications taken for other conditions can lead to bone density loss. Prednisone (a type of corticosteroid) and some anti-seizure drugs like Dilantin increase the risk of osteoporosis.
  • Inadequate calcium and vitamin D:
  • Insufficient exercise:
  • Smoking:
  • Excessive alcohol consumption:

Even having a single risk factor can greatly increase your chances of developing osteoporosis. If you believe you are at risk, attend our screening on Tuesday. We will measure your bone density at your heel and assess your risk factors to determine your osteoporosis risk.


UAB Kirklin Clinic Patient Resource Library (2nd Floor)
Located on the right as you enter from the second floor entrance of the Kirklin Clinic Parking Deck
Wednesday, July 11
9:00 am to 11:00 am – no appointment necessary
Call 1.888.934.BONE for more information or visit