Finding a Physician Specialist

Even if you need an osteoporosis specialist, you might not be sure where to find one because no one type of physician is defined as an osteoporosis specialist. An osteoporosis specialist is any doctor who has the interest, training, and experience to study bone health in depth. Types of physicians who are often osteoporosis specialists are gynecologists, endocrinologists, orthopedic surgeons, and geriatricians. Osteoporosis specialists are not limited to this group; you may also find a specialist in any area of medicine. Keep in mind that just being a doctor like the ones listed here does not guarantee that they are experts in osteoporosis.

Some clinics provide multidisciplinary care with physicians, nurses, dietitians, physical therapists, and radiographic technologists participating in your evaluation and care.

If you decide you need a physician specialist, talking with your primary care physician is a good place to start. You can also check the National Osteoporosis Foundation Web site for a list of physician specialists throughout the country.