- Actonel can increase bone density in both the spine and the hip.
- Actonel lowers your chances of breaking a bone in both the spine and the hip.
- Both men and women can take Actonel.
- You can take Actonel in a daily 5 mg dose for both prevention and treatment, a 35 mg weekly treatment dose, and a 150 mg monthly treatment dose.
- Actonel may cause stomach upset and irritation to the esophagus (food pipe) - should not be taken by patients with certain stomach and food pipe disorders.
How to take Actonel:
Patients need to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with an 8-ounce glass of water and then wait thirty minutes before eating or drinking anything else besides plain water. People taking this drug should also stay in an upright position during the 30 minutes (sitting or standing). Taking Actonel this way helps absorption and also lowers your chances of stomach & esophagus (food pipe) soreness.